Physical Accessibility at SPL
Although SPL was built in 1903, we have made attempts to make the building more physically accessible.
- Wheelchair accessible entrances; one off St. Andrew Street, and one off the rear parking lot (ring the buzzer for access)
- Elevator for movement between floors
- Wheelchair accessible washroom on the main floor.
- Wheelchair accessible computer stations
- Braille signage when available
This service brings Library materials to your home. It is primarily used by people who are homebound due to illness, age, or disability. Our Home Library Services webpage describes the program in full detail.
SPL provides an accessible public computer station with assistive technologies. The workstation has ZoomText, a computer screen magnifier and reader installed. There is also a Large Print keyboard and headphones available. Request use at the information desk.
Collections for People with Disabilities
Inter Library Loan / CELA
You can search and request audiobooks online. Audiobooks come in CD format and you can listen to them on your computer or portable CD player.
You can search for and request CELA audiobooks online. CELA Audiobooks are enhanced, unabridged recorded books DAISY format and you can listen to them on your computer, portable CD player, or on a DAISY Reader (SPL has 2 for loan). This collection is available to SPL's CNIB / CELA Patrons.
Downloadable Audiobooks and eBooks
downloadLibrary provides access to thousands of digital books to read or listen too. Overdrive Media Console (the program required to listen to these digital audiobooks), works with many top screen reader programs. Our ebooks are available in ePub format which allow for various accessibility features and is compatible with DAISY Book standards.
We have hundreds of titles, including bestsellers, with text which is slightly larger for those with poor vision (or if you have misplaced your glasses). Search for large print books
If there is a title you would like to read but it is not available in large print, ask about borrowing one of our magnifiying bookmarks.
Descriptive videos contain narration that describes the action during breaks in the dialog. No special equipment is needed to view these videos. They are available in DVD format. SPL has a small collection that you can search and request online.
Closed Captioned Videos
Closed captioned movies have subtitles that can be seen with a closed captioned decoder or with a built-in decoder on newer televisions. Search and request closed captioned movies at the library.
High / Low Print & Graphic Novels
The Library’s Literacy collection, and the Adult Graphic novel section provide access to stories and information in an easy to understand way.
Library customers who have a reading, learning, comprehension or other disability that may make it impossible to use library materials within the regular loan periods may request for Enhanced Access to library materials. Extended Access borrowers have double the loan period (6 weeks for books and music and 2 weeks for DVD's and periodicals) except for express collections and high demand items. Regular fines apply to all items borrowed.
Accessible Customer Service
The Stratford Public Library will use reasonable efforts to ensure that its policies and practices are consistent with the following principles:
- Library services are provided in a manner that respects the dignity and independence of persons with disabilities.
- The provisions of the Library services to persons with disabilities are integrated with those provided to persons who do not have disabilities unless an alternative measure is necessary. Persons with disabilities are given an opportunity equal to that of persons without disabilities to obtain, use or benefit from Library services
- When communicating with persons with a disability, the Library will do so in a manner that takes into account the person’s abilities.
- Persons with disabilities may use assistive devices and/or support persons in the access of goods and services.