The Forest of Reading is Canada's largest reading program for kids! The Forest helps celebrate Canadian books, publishers, authors and illustrators.
Join us and thousands of other kids as we celebrate amazing Canadian books through the Forest of Reading program! The Blue Spruce, Silver Birch, Red Maple, and White Pine books will be on display and available for checkout at the library.
Need a new challenge? Try the 'I Read Canadian' Challenge which runs until December 31, 2017.
- Voting runs until the end of April
- To vote for Blue Spruce books participants must have read all 10 books
- To vote for all other programmes you only have to have read 5 books
- If you have read books in more than one programme you may vote once for each programme
- Please vote only once. If you've voted somewhere else (eg. at school) you should not vote again
- Teachers are welcome to submit their classroom's votes using a tally sheet
- You can also vote online by clicking the appropriate link below.
The Silver Birch Awards
The Silver Birch Award has three separate lists of Fiction, Non Fiction and and Express which is comprised of both fiction and non-fiction geared towards the more reluctant reader. The Silver Birch program is meant for readers aged 8 to 12, from Grades 3-6. The Express list is a mix of fiction and non-fiction focusing on the lower grade levels and the fiction and non-fiction focusing on the Grade 5 and 6 readers.
After reading at least 5 books from any one of these lists, children can vote for their favourite book which will receive the Silver Birch award for 2017.
Red Maple Award
Grade 7 and 8's will enjoy these great Canadian books. This program aims to get readers engaging in conversation around the books and encourages them to use critical thinking while reading.
Read at least 5 from this list to be able to vote for your favourite of the Forest of Reading's 2017 Red Maple books.
White Pine Award
The White Pine Award provides high school-aged teens the opportunity to read the best of Canada's recent young adult fiction.
After reading at least 5 books from this list teens can vote for their favourite book which will receive the White Pine award for 2017.